Can you believe the 4th of July is right around the corner?! It’s not too late to get into the spirt! I came across this patriotic-themed table centerpiece designed by Jonathan Fong from eHow and thought it’d be a fun DIY project to share with you all. A craft idea such as this, is a great way to add patriotic flair to your 4th of July celebration. When I first saw this photo, I thought this was a single arrangement but once I looked closely I noticed this arrangement consisted of individual mason jars. Each jar was filled with flowers like, Blue Daisies, Red Carnations and White Dahlia Style Cremons. Not only are these flowers beautiful, but they’re easy to care for and are hardy flowers. If you are interested in learning how Jonathan created this festive table centerpiece then keep on scrolling!
- Mason jars, 8 ounces
- Rectangular tray
- Paint brushes
- Decorative ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- Red, white and blue paint
- Creme wax
- Your choice of red, white and blue flowers
- Determine how many mason jars will fit in your tray. Jonathan was able to fit 24 jars in his tray. Then decide which section will be blue, and which rows will be the red and white stripes.
2. Paint each mason jar its designated color. Chalky finish paint is ideal for glassware because it applies nicely without primer. One coat of paint was applied. (You can find at your local craft supply store, like Michaels.)
3. Distress the paint finish with a fork or what ever tool you have available to scrape the sides. This will expose the diamond pattern on the jars.
4. Use a clean brush to apply a layer of creme wax over the chalky top coat. The creme wax is specially formulated to seal the chalky finish paint, while giving it an antique finish.
5. Once the jar is covered with creme wax, quickly wipe off the excess with a clean cloth. By now, the paint is sealed and the brown creme wax is in the grooves of the jar. This really adds a rustic and antique feel!
6. Use your choice of decorative 4th of July-themed ribbon and wrap around each jar. Make sure to secure the ends with hot glue.
7. Place each mason jar in their designated spot. Once they’re all in order, add fresh cool water to each jar. Give the stems a fresh trim (make sure they’re all the same length) before placing them in the jars.
And there you have it! A simple DIY project that can take your 4th of July decor to the next level! Bonus: Not only does this serve as a centerpiece, but also as a party favor for your guests!
Ready to rock the Red, White and Blue? Shop our flowers by color to see beautiful blooms that will match any color palette!