Floral installations and sculptures are a fun new way to bring art into your event space. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes, designs, and types of flowers. They can be as diverse in design as you want them to be. For this installation, we used trending monochromatic white flowers and economical bulk fresh cut flowers: baby’s breath, limonium, spray roses, cremons, and snapdragons. Alongside a bushy mix of fresh cut and dried pampas, eulalia, and nettle.
2020 is the year for fresh, new wedding looks with most original wedding plans being adjusted or changed due to the pandemic. Our team at FiftyFlowers has heard a lot of great feedback from couples, clients, and designers who have said “just because the ceremony is small, doesn’t mean your flowers need to be.” Across the nation, as wedding plans have shifted, you might be looking for a way to keep the floral magic of your special day alive. A hanging floral installation is an exciting new way to go above and beyond with your wedding florals, no matter the size of your celebration.
White Micro Pom Flower
White Paper White Chrysanthemum Flower
White Spray Bulk Roses
Snapdragon White Flower
New Love Baby’s Breath
White Limonium Flowers
Dried Pampas Grass
White Dried Eulalia Grass
Oasis Florist Netting, Galvanized, 12 Inches
Oasis Bind Wire
Oasis Bunch Cutter
1. Decide where the flower installation is going to be placed. These can weigh a lot, so it needs to be installed in a secure place that can hold a lot of weight for a long time. You can suspend the hanging wedding flowers from rafters, or from a pipe stand, or nailed into the front of a surface, like a fireplace mantle or wall.
2. Construct your floral installation holder. I used a chicken wire tube. It can also be constructed with Oasis materials, or placed directly onto branches or other design materials. However you choose to construct your flower installation, get creative.
3. Suspend or affix the tube to where it will be hanging. Test that it will be secure. It’s easiest to hang it now, rather than after you design it. This also helps you design perfectly to the space it will occupy.
4. I chose to use Baby’s Breath and Limonium as my base flowers for the grid of the design, but you can also use sticks or dried palms to create a different shape for your design, and wire them directly to the cage. Creating a grid is a floral designer’s term. It relates to the floral mechanics, and is how the stems interlock.
5. Next, I incorporated snapdragons and daisies to strengthen my grid.
6. If you notice your design starting to lean forward, know that this is natural, and can be fixed by placing some flowers in the back of your design to help balance the weight.
7. Now place your statement flowers. I have incorporated Cremons, Spray Roses, and dried nettle. I constructed the floral installation this way because I was designing with baby’s breath and limonium, and I wanted the cremons and roses to have a grid to hold them out from the wire tube. This grid helps those statement flowers not sink into the wire tube. I had a lot of fun pairing these seemingly less expensive flowers, the Daisies and baby’s breath with the roses. The fun part of this project was that I was able to design with elements that you traditionally wouldn’t think about using to develop the piece. I did this to show that you can both design anything and mix seemingly opposite flowers you traditionally wouldn’t combine.
8. Once you think you’re done with your hanging floral installation, step back, walk around it, look for any holes. If you find holes or flowers not placed where you like them, tweak the design until you feel comfortable with placement. Step back and enjoy!
No matter the design, hanging floral installations always look like stunning works of art, and your guests will be delighted to see your creativity. Getting to express yourself on your event day is an amazing gift and crucial to the design process. Use the hanging floral installation above a table, set it up for a stunning flower backdrop, or add a touch of unique whimsy to any home or personal space. Your personal design vision will make the gathering memorable for all those who attend.
Want to make this look? All flowers are available at FiftyFlowers.com
Check out the step by step video for this Hanging Floral Installation.