Air Plants are perhaps the most versatile new category of products we’ve added to the site recently. From bouquets and boutonnieres to unique table markers, or even a lush, living “wall” to use as the backdrop of your ceremony, this drought-resistant array of plants can find a home in any facet of your event.
Plus, they’re incredibly easy to work with! One question we often hear is, “How far in advance can I make my wedding arrangements?” One huge upside of working with Air Plants is that you can put together your DIY arrangements well before your wedding day, saving you precious time in the days before!
They’re also an exceptionally easy and long-lasting party favor for people to take with them; a slight twist on the tradition of sending your guests home with floral arrangements. With a little care and attention, these can be an enduring reminder of your event long after the dance floor clears and the night is through.
That said, Air Plants are so much more than just a simple and unique addition to weddings. Pop them into a tiny cup, vase, or basket and place around your home or workplace to bring some freshness to your surroundings. Create a custom hanging terrarium as a gift that reflects a friend’s taste–add a small piece of bark for an outdoorsy amigo, or a seashell for a beachcomber–the options are nearly endless. You can even work them into your holiday decorations! We’re especially loving the look of an Air Plant-adorned wreath. Want some more inspiration? Check out our Air Plants board on Pinterest!
Air Plants at FiftyFlowers.com are available year-round and are recommended to be delivered 3 days before your event. To care for your Air Plants, just follow the steps below!
Air Plants are shipped directly from our farms. Before shipping, they’ve been prepared for their journey with proper hydration methods. Just follow these simple steps prior to your event:
- Open your box and inspect.*
- Immediately soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour by submerging the plant upside down.
- Shake off excessive water and place plants in bright light.
- If your regional area has humid air, mist Air Plants bi-monthly, with occasional soaking of the bulb.
- If your regional area has dry air, submerge the plant in water for 2 to 3 hours bi-monthly.
* If upon first inspection, you foresee a problem, do not proceed processing your items. Leave them intact in the box and call us immediately.
Tillandsia Air Plants are an eco-friendly and low-maintenance alternative to decorating ceremonial spaces! Simply place Air Plants in terrariums, apothecary jars, or other vases for modern table centerpieces. Use the drought-resistant plants in boutonnieres or as an added texture in bouquets! See the Flower Care tab for tips on mounting plants to create your own reception and wedding vertical garden walls.
- Waterproof glue or a hot glue gun. Do not use super glue.
- Wire or fishing line. Do not use copper wire.
- Nails or Staples: only use this option if Air Plant has sufficient roots attached.
Ready to shop? Check out our full selection of Air Plants here!