Fresh Roses fill a room with gorgeous color, fragrance and beauty. They are the quintessential romantic flower, perfect for weddings, special events or any occasion! Roses come in many different types and hundreds of varieties, at FiftyFlowers you can choose from Standard Roses in over 300 varieties, Garden Roses in 75 varieties, Spray Roses in 45 colors, Sweetheart Roses in 25 varieties, Garden Mini Roses in 20 varieties and Rainbow Roses in every color imaginable. There is a rose for every day, color palette and arrangement! But, with all these options, how do you decide which one is right for you?!
Let’s take a closer look…
Standard Roses are the flowers that come to mind when you think of a rose. Classically shaped heads that open to reveal a luxurious bloom, standard roses are timeless and traditional, and a popular choice for weddings, special occasions such as Valentine’s Day or anniversaries, or just general gift giving. These hardy, single bloom flowers are available year round and have an expected vase life of about 8 days, but as our DIY Bride, Liz, says,”It’s now been two weeks since my roses arrived for our wedding, and some of them are STILL sitting pretty in a vase at home!” Standard Roses typically have a head size between 2-4 inches wide, come in various stem lengths, and are generally sold in quantities of 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, and 200. Since we have over 300 varieties available at FiftyFlowers, we have arranged our standard roses by color…to check out all our color options, click here!
Garden Roses are gorgeous, full bodied, petal heavy roses, that often feature a deliciously sweet scent. Our DIY Bride, Paige, said, “The garden roses were honestly the prettiest flowers I have ever seen and they smelled amazing.” They are available year-round and are one of our top sellers here at FiftyFlowers. Their large, lush, ruffled petal, full bloom makes them a great substitute for the seasonal and pricey Peony. Garden roses typically have a shorter vase life, about 4-7 days, but are perfect for creating lush and romantic bouquets, centerpieces and arrangements and they mix well with lots of other flowers. Our Garden Roses are generally sold in packages of 36 stems, but some varieties differ in package sizes. Check out all of our gorgeous Garden Roses Here!
Spray Roses are miniature standard roses that have multiple (about 3-5) small blooms per stem. The blooms can range from about .75-1.5 inches wide with some of the blooms remaining closed. They serve as a wonderful filler or accent flower and are great for adding color and texture as many people like the contrast of the open and closed buds. Spray Roses are also available year round and have an expected vase life of about 8 days. Incredibly sweet and available in a myriad of colors, one simply cannot go wrong with these blooms!
Garden Mini Roses are also sweet and petite! But don’t let their size fool you, these beauties are packed with petals giving you a lush texture. Garden mini roses are also called garden spray roses because they come in a spray, meaning they have anywhere from 2-5 blooms per stem and some un-bloomed buds as well. This makes them great for adding texture! Our mini garden roses come in a lovely selection of colors, from soft pastels to bold brights and often feature a fresh garden aroma. Garden mini roses are usually available year-round and feature a vase life of about 5 days. Use mini garden roses in a bouquet, boutonniere, or centerpiece for a lush and romantic feel. Check out our full selection of Garden Mini Roses to see which ones you can’t live without!
Sweetheart Roses are smaller than standard roses but larger than spray roses. Their blooms usually range from 1 inches to 3 inches wide and there is only one bloom per stem. Sweetheart roses are perfect for boutonniere work, flower girl head pieces or adding into bouquets or centerpieces. Sweetheart roses are good to blend with their larger counterparts to create variety and visual interest. Hocus Pocus is one of our most popular Sweetheart roses, but you can check out our full selecton here.
If you are looking for something fun and unique, then Rainbow Roses may be just what you need! Perfect for gifts, parties and more! Rainbow Roses start as standard white roses and are then intravenously dyed to create stunning, bold, multi-colored blooms! These magical blooms will range from 2-3.5 inces across when they are fully bloomed. We have a large selection of popular color combinations or you can have fun mixing and matching your favorite colors to create a one-of-a-kind rose just for you! We recently added a vivid Rainbow Ruffles Garden Rose and a fun Tie Die Mini Rose to our Rainbow Rose collection, see them all here!
To care for your Roses, follow these steps!
Time is extremely important!! When you receive your flowers you will need to care for them immediately. Your roses will arrive thirsty after their international journey. If petals are drooping or the flowers look wilted, DO NOT BE ALARMED! You are going to provide care for the flowers just like a professional florist!
- Remove flowers from box by cutting any straps. Our Roses are shipped in special packaging** that may or may not include water boxes, water tubes or wet foam. No matter the packaging, your Roses have been properly prepared for shipping. Remove any of this special packaging including any plastic wrapping in order to prevent condensation which will cause rotting, but do NOT remove the cardboard sleeve or the rubber bands holding the flowers together in a bunch. It is recommended to leave the cardboard sleeve on for 4 to 8 hours. This will allow the Rose sufficient time to hydrate properly.
- Fill containers (the buckets from Lowe’s or Home Depot are great!) with at least 4 inches of fresh, cool water.
- Add floral food to prevent bacteria from forming in the water and to give added nutrients to the Roses. If you do not have flower food, it can be purchased at any local florist or grocery store floral department.
- Remove any leaves that fall below the water line. Not removing the leaves may cause bacteria to form and shorten the Rose’s life. Wear gloves while preparing the flowers, as the tint for any tinted variety may seep from the stem and temporarily stain hands and/or permanently stain clothing.
- Using sharp scissors or a knife, cut the stems diagonally under running water approximately one inch from each stem’s bottom edge.
- Immediately after cutting, place the stems in the prepared water.
- Allow flowers at least 4 hours to hydrate well. Roses may take up to 12 hours to properly hydrate. Leave the plastic or cardboard packaging around the blooms for a minimum of 4 hours. This will allow the Roses sufficient time to hydrate properly. After 4 hours you can remove the cardboard packaging but continue to let hydrate until you are ready to use them!
- Keep flowers away from direct sunlight, drafts or excessive heat.
- To keep the Roses fresh, change the water every 24 to 48 hours or when the water becomes cloudy. The water color will change if this is a tinted product. Assure that your flowers have sufficient water. The flowers will drink an exceptionally large amount of water upon arrival.
- If you have any concerns of your roses blooming too quickly or not fast enough, call us at 1-877-507-6737 and we can usually provide tips to speed up or slow down the process!
**Within each bunch, the Roses are packed in two layers to ensure protection during shipping. From the top angle, it will appear that you only have 12 stems in the bunch; however, below this layer there is a second layer containing the remaining 13 roses. Just count the stems!
We ship our roses with guard petals in order to protect the rose during shipping. Upon removal of the protective packaging, remove any brown or discolored guard petals. It is not uncommon to remove an average of 5-10 petals per rose before use.
To see more on Flower Care, check out my post titled, Flower Care and Transportation Tips!
I hope you enjoyed this flower spotlight! Now, head to FiftyFlowers to pick out the Roses or Flowers of your dreams! 🙂