I’ll be the first to admit I wasn’t a huge fan of Scabiosa Pods when I was first introduced to them. They’re definitely not your typical flower, but after doing a quick Pinterest search on Scabiosa Pod bouquets, I quickly became a fan! Sometimes certain flowers on their own may not look appealing, but once they’re paired with other flowers, such as roses, it can really change your mind. Scabiosa Pods, also known as pincushion flowers are great fillers and can add texture to an arrangement! They have a ball-shaped head, which is on average 1 inch wide and is supported by a 14-16 inch long stem. This unique variety requires minimal care and can last up to 8 days with proper care. It’s their color and look that makes these decorative fillers so versatile. Here are 5 ways you can add these pods into your wedding day!
- Place Setting – Scabiosa Pods are eye-catching and unique. Don’t let this small bloom fool you. They are a statement piece, for sure! Scabiosa Pods can stand alone or in this case, it was paired with Lavender and a little touch of foliage. So beautiful and effortless!
2. Boutonnieres – Scabiosa Pods are the perfect size for boutonnieres! This boutonniere features Succulent and Scabiosa Pods, which are both hardy flowers. They can hold their color and shape throughout the event, which is a plus because you don’t have to worry about the flowers drooping.
3. Wedding Cake Decor – The marsala and blush color scheme is still going strong and I love it! This all-white cake features a mix of focal flowers, line flowers and accent flowers such as Roses, Veronica and of course, Scabiosa Pods. As you can see, Scabiosa Pods pairs beautifully with just about every flower type and color. They can easily be incorporated into your decor! As mentioned above, Scabiosa Pods can hold up without water, which makes it an ideal outdoor wedding flower too!
4. Centerpieces – Add a couple of Scabiosa Pods stems into your centerpieces for some diversity and texture! This centerpiece is full of color and texture, yet these little blooms still manage to stand out! I love how the greenery pulls out the hint of green these pods have.
5. Bridal Bouquet – Though Scabiosa Pods are primarily used in rustic-themed weddings, there are a ton of styles and themes you could incorporate these in. For example, this vintage-themed wedding features a pink monochromatic bridal bouquets full of popular flowers such as, peonies. The bouquet is balanced out nicely with Scabiosa Pods and hints of yellow Craspedia Billy Balls.
To care for them, just follow the steps below:
- Open you box of flowers and inspect.
- Ensure that your flower buckets are clean and disinfected.
- Fill the buckets with at least 4 inches of fresh, cool water. If you have flower food follow the instructions on the packet to prepare your water.
- Remove flowers from box by cutting any straps.
- Remove any flower bunch packaging material, including plastic sleeve and/or newspaper.
- Cut stems diagonally under running water with sharp scissors to desired length.
- Immediately after cutting, place the stems in the prepared buckets.
- Allow flowers at least 4 hours to hydrate well. Flowers may take up to 12 hours to properly hydrate.
- Keep flowers away from direct sunlight, drafts or excessive heat.
- Change water every 24 hours to keep flowers fresh. Assure that your flowers have sufficient water. The flowers will drink an exceptionally large amount of water upon arrival.
We can help with any questions you may have! Use our online chat at FiftyFlowers.com or give our Customer Care team a call at 1-877-507-6737. We also offer free phone consultations with one of our resident Flower Design Consultants, just click here to set up your appointment!