When I think of Thistle, I immediately think of the word texture because that is exactly what it adds to floral arrangements. Thistle is a unique flower with spiky texture throughout the leaves and a snowflake-shaped bloom with a cone center. It has multiple laterals which feature about 2-5 blooms per stem. Within each lateral the bloom size may vary from 1 to 3 inches. (Don’t let the smaller blooms go to waste, they make the cutest boutonnieres!) You can expect Thistle to last a minimum of 8 days with proper care. Thistle would be a great choice for an outside wedding because it is very hardy. Although this flower gives off a wildflower vibe, you can incorporate these in any arrangement no matter the theme. It doesn’t take much to add texture and depth with a flower like Thistle, which makes it the best filler flower! My personal favorite is our Thistle Blue variety because of its natural color. We offer other natural and tinted varieties of Thistle as well! Be sure to check them out and scroll through the inspiration below.
Sources: globe thistle boutonniere, colorful thistle boutonniere, bridesmaids and bride, pomander bouquet, thistle cake, bridal bouquet, flower crown, globe thistle with lavender boutonniere, chair arrangement, thistle centerpiece
Upon arrival, follow the instructions below to ensure your Thistle looks beautiful in your arrangements:
- Ensure that your flower buckets are clean and disinfected.
- Fill the buckets with at least 4 inches of fresh, cool water. If you have flower food follow the instructions on the packet to prepare your water.
- Remove flowers from box by cutting any straps.
- Remove any flower bunch packaging material, including plastic sleeve and/or newspaper.
- Cut stems diagonally under running water with sharp scissors to desired length.
- Immediately after cutting, place the stems in the prepared buckets.
- Allow flowers at least 4 hours to hydrate well. Flowers may take up to 12 hours to properly hydrate.
- Keep flowers away from direct sunlight, drafts or excessive heat.
- Change water every 24 hours to keep flowers fresh. Assure that your flowers have sufficient water. The flowers will drink an exceptionally large amount of water upon arrival.
Ready to start shopping? Check out our selection of hardy Thistle here!