After coming out with our Steampunk Wedding Theme, we have been getting a lot of calls wanting to know where we got, or how we made, that cool metal cage surrounding the bouquet! So, we are going to give you the step-by-step on how to make this awesome Steampunk bouquet!
• Baby’s breath – one bunch
• Floral wire and/or rubber band
• Wire Cutters
• One roll of aluminum floral wire in Copper color, 12 gauge
• Steampunk Craft Embellishments
- Copper link chain – approximately 2 feet
- Two wrought iron keys
- One mini lock
Step 2: Wrapping the bouquet handle
• Using the aluminum wire, insert about one inch of wire into the top of the bouquet handle (top of the stems) to secure it.
• Begin to wrap wire around the bouquet handle (stems) until you get all the way to the bottom.
• Before you cut, be sure to leave an inch long “tail” of wire to create the loop at the bottom of the bouquet handle. Slide the two keys onto the wire before bending the tail into a loop. Then tuck the end up inside the handle to secure it.
Step 3: Making the Cage
• Start by stretching the aluminum floral wire from one side of the bouquet, across the top, and to the other side, to measure the distance. Add an additional 6 to 8 inches of wire and then cut the piece.
• Thread the wire through the link chain.
• Repeat this process to create the other half of the cage.
Step 4: Attaching the Cage
• One at a time, attach the two strands of aluminum wire covered with chain, that you created in the last step, to the bouquet handle.
• Wrap the excess wire around the top of the bouquet handle. Then guide the chain-covered wire across the top to the other side and attach that end to the bouquet handle.
• Repeat this process for the other chain, forming an “x” over the top of the bouquet.
• The final step is attaching the mini-lock with a piece of floral wire in the center of the “x”.
• Aluminum floral wire is strong and malleable making it easy to shape and yet strong enough to hold a formed shape.
• The OASIS® brand of wire is what we used and comes in 39 foot rolls – so one roll is plenty for this project.
• Large chain craft stores probably have steampunk embellishments – just look in the scrap book and jewelry making aisles.
And there you have it! Your very own Steampunk Bridal Bouquet!