Brighten up your big day with a sunflower wedding bouquet! Known for following the sun across the sky, the sunflower stands for adoration, faith and loyalty — how perfect for a wedding? You can incorporate sunflowers all throughout your ceremony and reception.
Sunflowers make stunning focal flowers in bouquets and arrangements, and there are so many colors, sizes and shapes to choose from!
Sunflowers are available year round, but their peak season is in late summer and fall. Their colors blend in beautifully with the colors of the fall!
Read on to learn more about sunflowers and how you can incorporate these fun blooms into your wedding!
Chances are that when you think of a sunflower, bright yellow comes to mind. But sunflowers come in so many colors, both natural and tinted. Here’s a complete list of sunflower colors:
- Yellow with a brown center
- Yellow with a green center
- White and Pink
- Yellow and red
- Lime green
Sunflower Sizes and Styles
Sunflowers also come in three different sizes: miniature, small and medium.
- Mini sunflowers have a center average of 0.75 to 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Small sunflowers have a center average of 1.0 to 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Medium sunflowers have a center average of 1 to 2 inches in diameter.
It’s not just their size that can vary — there are actually different styles of sunflowers. There are actually 70 different kind of sunflowers. The most popular kinds are the traditional sunflower, the teddy bear sunflower and the sunsplash sunflower.
A traditional sunflower features a circular center from which long petals burst outward. The scientific name for a sunflower is “helianthus.” The tallest sunflower ever grown was an impressive 30 feet tall!
Teddy Bear Sunflower
Unlike a traditional sunflower, the teddy bear sunflower has no center — just a breathtaking abundance of fluffy, lush petals. Teddy Bear Sunflowers are lush and unique flowers that have an abundance of ray-like petals but no center.
There’s also the sunsplash sunflower, which is available in a full-size or miniature version. The petals of the sunsplash sunflower are a bit more feathery than a traditional sunflower, giving the bloom a whimsical feel.
No matter what style of sunflower you pick, rest assured that the flower will be in full bloom all day. Sunflowers are one of the heartiest flowers out there, and they will stand up to any type of weather and look gorgeous!
What other flowers do sunflower pair well with?
When creating sunflower wedding bouquets and arrangements, use your sunflowers as the focal flower. You can use them on their own, or blend them with other blooms. Sunflowers pair beautifully with quite a few flowers, including:
- Feverfew daisies
- Billy balls
- Baby’s breath
20 Sunflower Wedding Bouquets and Arrangements
There are so many gorgeous ways you can incorporate sunflowers into your wedding day. Get inspired with these 20 examples of sunflower wedding bouquets, arrangements and decorations!
1. Eucalyptus gives this bouquet a contemporary feel.
3. This wedding table decor is perfect for fall.
5. These red sunflowers will brighten up any table.
6. You can’t go wrong with a classic, long-stemmed sunflower wedding bouquet.
7. These sunflower-filled mason jars are bursting with color.
8. This pink, white and yellow color palette is so sweet.
9. Lavender provides a gorgeous color contrast to the sunflower’s bright yellow.
10. Consider adding sunflowers to your wedding cake, as well!
11. These sunflower aisle decorations add a rustic touch.
12. Floral hoops like this one make for gorgeous reception decor.
13. Billy balls and greenery are great choices for a sunflower wedding bouquet.
14. The silver Brunia balls and white wrap make for a classic bouquet.
16. These lace-wrapped mason jars are blooming with fresh sunflowers and baby’s breath!
17. Channel your inner cowgirl with a rustic, burlap-wrapped sunflower bouquet.
18. This sunflower bouquet is a breath of fresh air.
19. The greenery is the focus of this modern sunflower bouquet.
20. We love how the yellow pops against the white roses in this sunflower bouquet!